The Buzz is an ongoing Visit Altoona feature sponsored by Polk County—thanks for supporting the Altoona community and helping us promote local businesses and events! Also, congrats to Polk County for leading the development of Lauridsen Skatepark, which made the Dew Tour possible!
On May 20th-23rd, the world’s best skateboarders will roll, flip, grind, switch, slide and ollie their way into Des Moines, along with thousands of spectators, for Dew Tour 2021.
This will be the first skateboarding event at the new Lauridsen Skatepark along the Des Moines river – which happens to be the biggest skatepark in the nation – AND a qualifying event for the first-ever Olympic skateboarding competition at this summer’s Tokyo games.
It’s kind of a big freakin’ deal.
If you plan on heading to Des Moines for the competition and festival, you’ll need to find a place to stay—and you’ll want to hurry. Hotel rooms are going faster than Tony Hawk on a halfpipe.
Fortunately for you, we already found the best place to stay in the Des Moines area: Altoona!
Just 15 minutes from downtown Des Moines, Altoona has a well-earned reputation as one of Iowa’s favorite destinations, with cozy hotels, one-of-a-kind restaurants and high-adrenaline attractions. Plus, when you stay in Altoona, you won’t have to deal with the noise and inconvenience of staying downtown—so you can get your beauty rest!
Here’s a quick guide to help you plan your stay in Altoona…
Pick a Hotel, Any Hotel
There are plenty of great hotels in Altoona, and each one is just minutes from restaurants and entertainment. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Prairie Meadows: You look like the high-roller type. At Prairie Meadows, you have a casino, a concert venue and an incredible steakhouse right down the hall.
- Hyatt Place Altoona: Live your best life at this brand-new hotel, featuring a gorgeous lakeside view, a bar and a shopping center right across the street. Check out our Hyatt Place feature!
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott (Altoona): This one features free Wi-Fi, a pool, a fitness center and free breakfast. That’s right: free breakfast, the most beautiful phrase in the English language.
- Adventureland Inn: Why would you settle for ‘just’ a hotel bar and pool when you can have both… at the same time?? At the end of a long day of skateboarding action, chill out at Adventureland Inn’s swim-up tiki bar.
These Restaurants are Offering Special Discounts during Dew
And to sweeten the deal, these restaurants are offering 10% discounts during Dew Tour (just show your Dew Tour Pass when you purchase your meal):
- Jethro’s ‘n Jakes Smokehouse Steaks
- Claxon’s Smokehouse and Grill
- Stay tuned for more participating businesses!
Other Cool Stuff to Check Out
At the end of the day, you’re here to do the Dew. BUT, while you’re staying in Altoona, you might as well find out why four million people visit our town each year.
Fun things to do:
- Explore our local parks! From playgrounds and pickleball courts to volleyball nets and the occasional giant praying-mantis sculpture, there are so many unique parks in Altoona that it can be hard to pick one. You can see our Mayor’s favorite parks here!
- Hit the trails. Central Iowa is one of the nation’s best places for cycling—and Altoona sits right along the trail system. Check out our feature on some rather famous local bikers!
- Play the night away at Prairie Meadows. If you know when to hold ‘em and know when to fold ‘em, Prairie Meadows is the place for you. Also, check their calendar for live concerts and other events!
- Defy gravity at Adventureland Resort. Iowa’s greatest amusement park is home to insane roller coasters and splash-tastic water rides.
- Shop to your heart’s content at Outlets of Des Moines. This indoor-outlet mall is honestly stunning. It’s almost as beautiful as the deep discounts you’ll find at its premium shops.